Life gets, well, pretty friggin' crazy sometimes. I think creating this website and brand really put my 'crazy' levels to the test. And let's be real: it's really tough to keep that energy going when life is moving so quickly. You want to be that super productive, high-energy, glowing, calm, collected, healthy person...but when you're juggling a zillion things and are wiped out, it's not easy.
Sure, when life is calmer I have my go-to daily routines. But what about when life gets hectic?
How do I keep my engines running on that productive-high energy-healthy setting when life gets a little crazy?
1. I drink tons of water. How much water should you be drinking? Take your weight in kilograms (divide it in pounds by 2.2) – that’s around how many oz of water you need daily. So, if you’re 150 pounds, that’s 68 kg, amounting to 68 oz of water per day (about 8-9 glasses).
2. I take my vitamins every day. Sometimes when we're running around like crazy it's tough to make sure we're getting enough of all our vitamins. Taking a gummy, or even an Emergen-C packet, makes sure you've got enough to keep you going all day! When it comes to energy metabolism, sometimes vitamins can be the 'limiting reagent' to a reaction in your body, meaning that the body cannot complete the reaction it needs to only because it doesn't have enough of the vitamin. An example of this are your B complex vitamins and energy metabolism: if there are not enough B vitamins in your diet, your body cannot burn energy as well.
3. I am active every day! Even if you are too busy to get a long gym session in, there is always walking. 10,000 daily steps or bust! So, even if I’m not at the gym or on a run, I’m standing at my desk, walking through the halls, and biking or walking to work! Seriously, any chance you have to walk around, whether it's a phone call or brainstorming an idea, WALK! The other day I walked up and down the stairs to my apartment while thinking of ideas for blog posts!
4. I get lots of sleep. Sleep is totally key for healthy living and keeps you running on high energy all the time without wearing you down. There's really no 'making up' missed sleep. If you have to choose between gym and sleep or work and sleep, the answer is always sleep. 7-9 hours, nightly, no matter how early you have to get up!
5. I also eat Greek or Icelandic yogurt every day. Yogurt has probiotics in it which help improve the health of the bacteria in your gut, promoting positive, healthy bacterial growth. The bacteria in your gut play a huge role in the way your body functions, including your weight, disease risk, immunity, and food cravings, and current research is working hard to determine how this works. If I don’t get yogurt in, I’ll take a probiotic. My absolute favorite yogurt is Siggi's -- really low in sugar, really high in protein. Plus, really friggin' delicious. It's a little ridiculous how many of these are always in my fridge.
6. I listen to happy music in the morning. Music stimulates dopamine, which enhances your mood and makes you feel all gooooood and ready to start the day. My go-tos in the morning are The Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones.
What are your necessities when life is running on high? Do you swear by a special food that always keeps you healthy? Zinc? Vitamins? Water? Mom’s chicken soup? A particular morning stretch or workout? Share!